I was coaching a female Radio Presenter yesterday and something came up in conversation that I felt is important enough to write about.
- You’ve got your heart set on a show? A radio station you’d like to work at?
- How do you first of all Get That Interview?
Well, here’s what’s worked for a few I’ve already coached.
GETTING THE INTERVIEW:
- Call the PD directly.
- Introduce Yourself
- Tell the PD you will be in the area / WANT to meet for coffee!
- You’d like to share some ideas about a show with him/her.
Always better to call than email. Emails get lost , pushed to the side for later or never.
“Success doesn’t come to you, you go to it.” –Marva Collins
Nowadays there are more online interviews for voice-tracking gigs etc.
Interviews can be on Skype Video, over the phone or in person!
First impressions – Body Language. Eye contact , firm handshake.
Don’t appear desperate for the job!
Always the “3C’s”– Cool, Calm and Confident!
- Listen to the interviewer!
Ask Questions to first of all show interest but also to find out about the radio station for yourself! Maybe it might not suit you after all!
- Impress them with your knowledge.
- Show them you can bring something new to their radio station!
“Opportunities don’t often come along. So, when they do, you have to grab them.” –Audrey Hepburn
You are the EXPERT!
You are the only one who can do this.
Not cocky, not reserved.. just ‘sure’!
You’re the person that PD wants!
Ok, ready! YOU got this!! Go for it! Good Luck!
(Oh by the way…the latest example of this happened just this week. My client got the interview and immediately has been asked to submit more of her ideas. THIS WORKS!!!)