St John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Producer, Radio (English Services)
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC Saint John is looking for a Producer to join our radio current affairs team for our morning show program, Information Morning. We are seeking a natural born leader and consummate team player with superb journalistic skills.
You will implement the vision for the program and ensure we are effectively and efficiently covering the stories and issues affecting the people of Saint John. You will be responsible for proposing original story ideas, chasing breaking news, developing program content and segments, interviewing guests, doing research, preparing and vetting scripts and lining up the show. You are expected to make independent editorial decisions, ensuring we have the most up-to-date news and information ready for the early morning team. Advice and guidance are available, but there is considerable latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
You will also play a role in supporting our digital and social media platforms, and will be expected to help coordinate the activities of others.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- University degree or equivalent with five years' experience of which three must involve work in broadcasting or a closely related industry, which is directly related to the area of assignment
- A strong team leader with the ability to manage and lead a small but mighty team with a shared vision and to inspire others to do the same
- Ability to oversee and lead change
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Superior writing, editorial and production skills. Interest in cross-platform media production
- Solid journalistic background
- An ability to choose relevant, audience focused stories, which reflect issues being discussed by the general public
- Quick to react and respond to breaking stories
- Interest and knowledge of events and issues in the community
- An innovator and risk taker
- A commitment to reflecting community and diversity
- Demonstrated ability to leverage digital and social media platforms to enhance the audience experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of Saint John
- Ability to work a variety of shifts including early starts, late finishes and weekends.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ''Apply online''. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.